1. 22 April, 1892: Dromore. Special Communication.
  2. The Brethren assembled in the Town Hall at 12 o'clock noon; and thence proceeded in Masonic order to the rooms in Church Street, recently prepared for the accommodation of the members of a new Lodge No. 94.
  3. Having entered the Masonic Rooms the Provincial Grand Lodge was opened in the first degree; after which the Ceremonies of Dedication of the Rooms, Constitution of the Lodge, and Installation of its Officers were conducted according to ancient Masonic custom by the Right Worshipful Provincial Grand Master, Bro. Lord Arthur Hill

History of Warrant No. 94

Copyright Star of West Down Masonic Lodge No.94 ©2014 Website created by W Bro M Whitesmith| Design from Serif.com

Star of West Down Masonic Lodge No. 94

History of the Warrant and the Lodge

1738

The first recorded mention was a Warrant No.94 being issued to brethren in NEWCASTLE, Co. Limerick, either on 5 October or 1 December 1738.


1761

As there was no sign of this Warrant in 1738 it was subsequently registered with The King’s Own Yorkshire Light Infantry on 21 October 1761, in London and on 6 December 1763 it was entered as an Orange Lodge on the Register of The Grand Lodge of Ireland.


1817

Reissued to brethren in KILWAUGHTER, Larne, Co. Antrim on 4 December.


1834

The lodge sent its first application for funds for a widow.

Petition of Mary Newhinney ?: widow of Thomas Newhinney, requesting financial assistance in order to support herself and her children.  A note on the reverse states

"N.B. As this is the first application that ever Lodge 94 has made to the G. Lodge for Charity, we humbly hope that the Committee of Charity will be as liberal as possible."

14 February 1834


1855

Letter from William Humphries (to the Grand Lodge) stating that emigration and old age have caused their numbers to be decreased. He says that unless their dues are lowered they will be compelled to return the Warrant to the Grand Lodge.  Letter from Humphries (to the Deputy Grand Secretary) returning the Lodge Warrant.

21 December 1855


1892

Printed form of Memorial for a new Warrant to meet at the Dromore to be called "Star of the West, Down" Lodge - Memorial signed by fourteen brethren from various Lodges and nominating Harry D. Spratt (203) as first W. Master; John Mulligan (602) as S.W. and William Preston (119) as J.W. - Memorial recommended by Lodges 683, 119 and 336 together with the D.P.G.M. of Down.

18 January 1892

Warrant issued on 4 March, 1892 to Henry D. Spratt; John Mulligan and William Preston. There were 10 brethren registered at this time and a total of 47 brethren registered up to 14 May 1900.

A total of 151 brethren registered up to 12 November, 1923.

The Lodge met at Masonic Rooms, Church Street, Dromore